WE DARE YOU TO TRY THIS LAYERED PIZZA DIP
Want great deep dish pizza in Calgary? Chicago Deep Dish Pizza has you covered. But if you’re looking for delicious pizza flavour in dip form, here’s a suggestion: layered pizza dip. It’s so easy to put together even newbie cooks can pull it off.
8 oz. (1 package) softened cream cheese
½ cup sour cream
2 cups shredded mozzarella
1 cup Parmesan cheese
½ tsp. dried basil
½ tsp. dried oregano
½ tsp. parsley
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. salt
2 cups pizza sauce
¼ cup chopped pepperoni
¼ cup finely chopped green peppers
¼ finely chopped onions
¼ cup chopped olives
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- With a mixer combine the cream cheese, sour cream, ½ a cup of the Parmesan, ½ a cup of the mozzarella, herbs and spices. Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Evenly spread mixture on the bottom of a pie pan.
- Distribute the pizza sauce on top of the cheese mixture.
- Evenly distribute the remaining ½ cup of Parmesan and 1½ cups of mozzarella over the pizza sauce.
- On top of the cheeses disperse the olives, onions, green peppers and pepperoni.
- Bake in the oven for 20 – 30 minutes, or until dip is hot and bubbling.
- Cool for ten minutes, then serve while still warm with your choice of dipper (bread sticks, corn chips, crackers, etc.).
While nothing more is required, some people find this dip improved by any or all of the following.
- Bake it twice. Sauces and dips often benefit from an incubation period in which flavours have a chance to fully blend. After cooking the dip the first time, let it completely cool, then chill in the fridge for 24 hours. After, reheat in the oven and serve while still warm.
- Remove excess fat from the pepperoni. Some find the orange tinted fat that’s released by the pepperoni unappealing. Remove a good amount of it by boiling or microwaving for about 30 seconds and then scraping it off. Alternatively, you could use turkey pepperoni, which has very little fat.
- Serve with baked baguette slices. Other dippers work, but baguette slices that are drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with garlic salt and baked for 7 – 10 minutes are delicious with this dip.
- Vary the topping to suit your preferences. Don’t like olives? Pull them out and substitute your favourite pizza topping. This dip is easy to adjust according to your personal tastes.
Hungry for more?
If this delicious dip whets your appetite for authentic deep dish pizza, give our menu a try. Our pizzas are made with the freshest ingredients and delivery is possible day or night throughout Calgary. Call us to place your order today.